ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Canadian Birds



I was recently asked by a colleague, who was travelling to Nicaragua, if I could get any of my students to make some artwork that he could take to a local school he was visiting. I decided to have my Grade 4's (who are super sweet and very generous- I knew they'd have no problem donating their art) make oil pastel drawings of Canadian birds. 

So the students chose their own birds from a big folder of photos I collected on my laptop. We used red and blue construction paper. I printed off a photo reference for each student. They sketched in the basic shapes first, then coloured away. 

I encouraged them to lay down the colour really thick, to mix colours, and 
to create any type of background/habitat they wanted.







I was really happy how they turned out and was sad to see them go!  

Falcon

Bald Eagle - not only in America!

Canada Goose

Northern Cardinal

Mallard

Snowy Owl

Belted Kingfisher

Mountain Bluebird

Swallow

Loon

Robin

Red Throated Hummingbird

Woodpecker



3 comments:

Sue in Oregon said...

If your friend returns with Central American bird drawings from students I hope you will be able to share them online. I am not a teacher but a grandmother who loves to share art ideas with her grandchildren. I really enjoy your blog.

Mrs. P said...

WOW! Just beautiful! I may have my kiddos try it during those cold, colorless, winter months up here in NH--what a colorful and inspiring project! Thanks for sharing! Mrs. P @ CreateArtWithMe.blogspot.net

Laura Kim said...

These are really lovely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...